This morning, my MIL asked us if we had decided on Apple's ang moh name. Hubby told her we had.
"How about chinese name?"
Hubby looked at me and I shrugged and said "...sort of..."
So my MIL told us that my FIL is excitedly choosing name for our little tiger...which sounded absolutely fine to me. My respond was that it is a tad early to confirm the chinese name because the name is dependent on the 'weight' of the birthdate/time according to Yi Ching. My parents will know how to calculate the 'weight' of little Apple after birth...in fact that is how I got my chinese name. My grandpa counted my weight...wept because of its weightiness and why am I a gal not a boy?...and then gave me my name.
I am super flattered to have my Chinese name given to me by my grandpa. Not all of my cousins get to share that privilege.
So I was flattered that my FIL is taking such a huge concern in Apple's chinese name...until my MIL dropped the big bomb...
"Going to send baby to 受戒?"
NO WAY! No way....It's as good as asking me to throw my baby into the water baptism pool and watch the newborn try to swim!
I shake my head vigorously...so she looked at Kelvin. He just shrugged...
So my MIL just sighed and then said my FIL isn't going to be happy. SO WHAT?
She's my daughter! He's just a grandpa! If I am not going to make the choice for her, so neither is he!
I go a bit loudly and unhappily..."He can't force religion!"
Then we all resumed what we were doing and conversation came to a close. I wisely shut my mouth and didn't attempt to discuss or get Kelvin on my side when we were alone in our room.
But we did have a talk in the car just now after Chan's party for his son's 1 yr old. We agreed not to bound or commit our children to any religion. His nor mine. It is our children's choice to chose. He/she can be a christian, hindu, buddhist, taoist, islam, jewish or anything he/she chose to be. His dad shouldn't overstep his authority and command that we 'enter' their religion...which era does he think we are in? Even if my great-grandpa is alive today, he can't do anything should we chose to be Christians!
Besides, I am not terribly impressed by my FIL's conduct as a follower of his faith...all song and dance and no sincere change in attitude nor lifestyle...I am not judging...I am just irritated. He probably is as irritated by me. Fair enough...but I don't shove my bible down his throat nor read them out loud in front of him to cast out demons.
I can't wait for the day we can move out but I am wise to know that it is better to wait.
Saturday, January 02, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment